Digitalization of International Finance
May 19, 2021
The rapid spread of coronavirus has sent shockwaves through the global economy, with market risk aversion rising in ways not seen since the global financial crisis. The digitization of international finance is now becoming more pressing than before, which has exhorted policymakers to embark in an accelerated digital financial transformation process and pushed service providers, including trade finance banks, to make a strategic decision: either commit to the development of digitized channels and propositions, or prepare to cede market share to a new generation of providers that have already seized the imperative to respond to market evolution in international commerce.
Drawing from recent experiences and future prospects, this conference focused on how digitalization of international finance would provide an opportunity to streamline processes, reduce transaction time and cost, and mitigate fraud risk, among others. It also touched on the needed policies and market drivers that support the digital transformation in cross-border payments, trade finance and global capital markets.
see session videos
- Abdulrahman A. Al Hamidy, Director General Chairman of the Board, Arab Monetary Fund
- Marc Uzan, Executive Director, Reinventing Bretton Woods Committee
Cross-Border Payments dimension of Digital Currencies
- Moderator: Alessandra Perrazzelli, Deputy Governor, Bank of Italy
- Rasheed M. Al Maraj, Governor, Central Bank of Bahrain.
- Mehdi Manaa, Chief Executive Officer, Buna.
- Lars Sjögren, Chief Executive officer, P27 Nordic Payments
- Ousmene Mandeng, Senior Advisor Accenture.
- Jagruti Solanki, Chief Financial Officer, BitPay
The Trade Finance Dimension
- Moderator: Abdulrahman A. Al Hamidy, Director General Chairman of the Board, Arab Monetary Fund
- Tarek Amer, Governor, Central Bank of Egypt.
- Ayhan Kose, Acting Vice President of Equitable Growth, Finance and Institutions, and Director of Prospects Group, World Bank
- Stefano Favale, Global Head of Transaction Banking Department, Intesa San Paolo.
- Robert Barnes, CEO TradeIX & The Marco Polo Network.
Capital Markets Dimension
- Moderator: Mohammed Omran, Chairman of Egyptian Financial Regulatory Authority and Vice Chairman of the International Organization of Securities Commission.
- Bernard Ferran, General Manager, EMEA & CIS, Euroclear.
- Rami El Dokany, Secretary General, Arab Federation of Exchanges.
- Renat Bekturov, CEO Astana international exchange.
- Michael Grifferty, President, The Gulf Bond and Sukuk Association.
- Mohamed Damak, Senior Director, S&P Global Ratings.